Early Communication Class
Our baby class for 3 to 12 month olds is entitled Early Communication. In the first year of life there are so many firsts. With smiles, crawling and walking to occur it is easy to think that language is something which happens later, in the second year. However, language development is a very long process with its beginnings occurring before your baby is even born. Research tells us that babies can recognise their mother’s voice even before birth, with a study completed at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma suggesting that babies actively listen to their mother’s voice in the last 10 weeks of pregnancy. You are in effect teaching your baby to speak even before they are born, exposing them to the sound and rhythm of your language.
Some of the skills your baby learns in the first year:
- Controlling vocal organs to make different sounds
- Linking consonants and vowels to create cooing and babbling sounds
- Using pitch, volume and vowel sounds to create different effects
- Using non-verbal language
- Exploring the melody, rhythm and intonation of their language
Language development is a very long process with its beginnings occurring before your baby is even born
Your baby will be learning so much about language in the first year of life, but language is like any other skill, the more it is nurtured the better it becomes.
Our classes are designed to develop these and other key skills, with a focus on encouraging the next set of skills. By attending Chattertown classes your child will be exposed to a range of fun and engaging stimuli designed specifically for their stage of language development.
Our classes help your baby with:
- Practise of key age-related skills through songs, stories, poems and word games
- Development of confidence with language
- Opportunities to communicate and practise sounds and words free from interruptions and distractions (older siblings/TV etc)
Supports you with:
- Strategies and methods to develop your child’s language skills
- Focused, quality time with your child developing their linguistic skills
- Confidence that what you are doing will help your child communicate more
Our classes are designed to develop key skills, with a focus on encouraging the next set of skills.
‘I would recommend these classes for any parent looking to encourage their child’s speech and language.’
Diane James MSc BA
Qualified Speech and Language Therapist